Anderson fears virus could wreck English season as Windies offer to stage series

back icon
safari
19 Mar 2020 | 06:16 AM
authorAFP

Anderson fears virus could wreck English season as Windies offer to stage series

England postponed their tour of Sri Lanka last week. They are next meant to play the West Indies in a three-Test home series, starting on June 4

heart

Share

England fast bowler James Anderson fears the global coronavirus pandemic could see the domestic and international cricket season abandoned completely.

The England and Wales Cricket Board are due to meet with the 18 first-class counties on Thursday (19th March), possibly by teleconference, in a bid to see whether the existing structure for the 2020 summer can be maintained.

It follows Wednesday's decision by the ECB to recommend the suspension of the recreational game.

The County Championship is meant to start on April 12 but a delay looks increasingly likely given other sports have called a halt following British government advice to avoid mass gatherings.

"Cricket and sport is not the be all and end all but it is my livelihood, it's all I know," Anderson told the BBC's Tailenders podcast.

"The season is unlikely to start. It's still a little bit hazy as to what's going to happen. There's a chance we might not even bowl a ball this summer."

Anderson made the last of his 151 Test appearances against South Africa in Cape Town in January before a broken rib saw him miss the last two matches of the series.

The 37-year-old was not selected for the Sri Lanka series in the hope he would be fully fit for the start of the home season.

The Lancashire paceman, England's all-time leading Test wicket-taker, added: "I feel a little bit anxious. Just the not knowing is giving me a bit of anxiety."

England postponed their tour of Sri Lanka last week. They are next meant to play the West Indies in a three-Test home series, starting on June 4.

But if that is not possible, Cricket West Indies have offered to stage the series in the Caribbean.

CWI chief executive Johnny Grave said Wednesday he had held talks with ECB counterpart Tom Harrison. 

"To that end, yes, we have offered to host the series here in the Caribbean if that is deemed helpful," Grave told ESPNcricinfo.

"The ECB would retain all commercial and broadcast rights."

Meanwhile Hampshire chairman Rod Bransgrove said the counties were bracing for all eventualities.

"It's likely to get a lot worse before it will get better and I think our conclusion is we need to have plans for various different contingencies," Bransgrove told BBC Radio Solent.

"They include no cricket at all during the season, but hopefully that won't be the one that prevails."

ECB cash reserves have declined from £73 million ($85m, 78 million euros) to £11 million due to county grants and setup costs for the Hundred, its new showpiece tournament which officials believe will revive interest in cricket.

Their most recent accounts identified the loss of matches due to "events outside cricket's control" as a major risk and the ECB will now have to decide whether to go ahead with the 100 ball per innings format or delay its inaugural season until next year.

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
EnglandJames Michael Anderson

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
English County season to start on 1st August
The format has still to be decided, although the ECB said this was "due to be agreed" by the 18 first-class counties in early July
userAFP
30 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
England confirm venues for West Indies series
The first Test will take place at Hampshire's Ageas Bowl ground from July 8-12, with the second and third Tests at Old Trafford in Manchester on July 16-20 and July 24-28 respectively
userAFP
02 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
Coronavirus break could prolong my career by "a year or two", says Anderson
The pacer is part of the 55-member group that has been asked by the ECB to return to training, ahead of the West Indies Test series
userPTI
02 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
ECB delays start of domestic season by another month, no cricket before August 1
"While traditional formats of our competitions are the preference, we are not against exploring the unorthodox to ensure that we can return our players to the field," said ECB CEO
userPTI
28 May 2020
safari
NEWS
West Indies players will not be forced to tour England: chief
The Caribbean side are due to travel to play a three-Test series, which has been postponed until July at the earliest
userAFP
14 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Cricket West Indies flexible about rearranging England tour
CWI chief executive Johnny Grave has reiterated that player safety remains main priority
userAFP
25 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Virus pushes English cricket season back until July
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said the plan was to reschedule international matches as late as possible in the English season to give the best chance of play
userAFP
24 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
The Hundred's future on the line as English cricket chiefs meet
The inaugural edition of The Hundred, a new 100 balls per side format to played by eight franchises, is meant to start in July
userAFP
24 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Anderson fears virus could wreck English season as Windies offer to stage series
"Cricket and sport is not the be all and end all but it is my livelihood, it's all I know," said Anderson
userPTI
28 Mar 2020
safari
NEWS
Coronavirus leaves English cricket facing uncertain season
Last week the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced that no professional cricket would be played before May 28 at the earliest
userAFP
25 Mar 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved