Archer could miss third Test after revealing racist abuse

back icon
safari
22 Jul 2020 | 02:24 PM
authorAFP

Archer could miss third Test after revealing racist abuse

He said some of the social media criticism he had received had been racist and felt uncertain about taking the field on Friday for the final Test, also at Old Trafford

heart

Share

England's Jofra Archer says he was racially abused after his breach of coronavirus protocols and is struggling to get into the right frame of mind to play in the decisive third Test against the West Indies.   

The 25-year-old fast bowler was omitted from the England team that won the second Test at Old Trafford on Monday (20 July) due to an unauthorised trip home after the West Indies' victory in the first Test in Southampton.

He is free to play after two negative coronavirus tests.

Archer said in his Daily Mail column published on Wednesday that he had not "committed a crime".

He said some of the social media criticism he had received had been racist and felt uncertain about taking the field on Friday for the final Test, also at Old Trafford.

"I need to be 100 per cent mentally right so that I can throw myself into my cricket this week," Archer wrote.

"If I play and don't bowl 90 miles an hour it's going to be news. If I don't bowl 90 miles per hour for long enough it's going to be news," he added.

Archer said England had enough bowling resources if he was not ready to return.

Second Test standout performer Stuart Broad, Chris Woakes, Sam Curran, veteran James Anderson and Mark Wood are all available.

"I give 100 per cent every time I go out there and I don't want to go out on the field unless I can guarantee doing that," Archer said.

The paceman, who was fined and issued with a written warning for his breach of the rules, thanked England star Ben Stokes for helping him "deal with being in the spotlight of international sport".

Barbados-born Archer, subjected to racist abuse by a spectator during a tour of New Zealand last year, said he would no longer tolerate such comments online.   

"Some of the abuse I have taken over the past few days on Instagram has been racist and I have decided that enough is enough... so I have forwarded my complaints to the ECB (England and Wales Cricket Board)."

Archer, who burst onto the international scene last year when he bowled the decisive Super Over in England's World Cup final win over New Zealand, said he wanted to look ahead.

"I know what I did was an error of judgement and I have suffered the consequences of that," he said. "I haven't committed a crime and I want to start feeling myself again."

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
EnglandJofra Chioke Archer

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
Archer back in England squad for West Indies decider
Stuart Broad, Chris Woakes and Sam Curran, who helped bowl England to a 113-run win in the second Test have been retained
userAFP
23 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Archer needs support over racist abuse, says Holder
"We need to eradicate racism and abuse and anything we as a West Indies team can do to help him we will do," said the West Indies skipper
userAFP
23 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
England need to talk to Archer after racist abuse, says Anderson
Anderson said while there had always been scrutiny on international players, the spotlight was now even more intense due to social media
userAFP
23 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Archer cleared to rejoin England squad after negative virus test
The fast bowler was left out after the ECB revealed on the first morning of the game that he had breached bio-secure regulations
userAFP
21 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Jofra Archer available for third Test despite COVID breach
The pacer will now undergo two COVID-19 tests, which have to produce negative results, before his self-isolation period is lifted
userAFP
18 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Archer's virus error 'could have cost tens of millions', says Ashley Giles
Archer was omitted after he went home to Brighton on Monday to meet an unnamed individual following the end of last week's first Test in Southampton -- directly contravening strict guidelines
userAFP
17 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Archer dropped from 2nd Test due to breach of bio-secure protocols
Archer will now commence five days of isolation and will undergo two COVID-19 tests in this period, which have to test negative before his self-isolation period is lifted
userAFP
16 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Those were dark times: Archer opens up on his back injury lay-off as teenager
Archer had suffered the injury after making it to the West Indies U-19 level before his move to England in 2015
userAgencies
13 May 2020
safari
OPINION
The Barbadian bloke who forced a rule-change!
On this day in 2019, Jofra Archer made his international debut and went on to have an incredible rookie year
userHardik Worah
03 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Racists out of tune with changing world, says England star Archer
Archer said racist incidents occurred far less in cricket than football
userAFP
11 Nov 2019
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved