Australia greats baffled with few exclusions from Ashes squad

back icon
safari
28 Jul 2019 | 01:30 PM
author
AFP

Australia greats baffled with few exclusions from Ashes squad

Australia have not won The Ashes series in England since 2001

heart

Share

Alex Carey’s omission from the Ashes squad was met with disbelief Saturday by former Australian greats Mark Waugh and Shane Warne, while Mark Taylor said he was surprised Joe Burns and Kurtis Patterson missed out. Australia named a 17-man squad for the five-Test series against England on Friday, with opener Cameron Bancroft recalled alongside Steve Smith and David Warner following their bans for a ball-tampering scandal in South Africa last year. 

Matthew Wade also made the grade, having not played a Test for nearly two years, following recent outstanding form with the bat. He can act as back-up wicketkeeper to captain Tim Paine, as could Bancroft, which meant the fast-improving Carey, who starred for Australia at the recent World Cup, was controversially overlooked. 

“Got to be kidding re Alex Carey,” 128-Test veteran Waugh tweeted. “For me Alex missing the squad is the biggest shock particularly after his batting during the World Cup and being the second best gloveman.” 

Spin king Warne was also stunned at Carey’s omission. “Very surprised/disappointed that Carey didn’t make the Aussie squad,” he said on Instagram in posting what he believes will be Australia’s team for the opening Test at Edgbaston. 

Warne has Bancroft opening with Warner and Wade coming in at number six, while opting for fast bowler James Pattinson instead of Mitchell Starc alongside Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins and Nathan Lyon. Former Australia captain Taylor said opener Burns and middle-order batsman Patterson missing out was tough to take given both made centuries in Australia’s last Test, against Sri Lanka. 

“I was disappointed Kurtis Patterson didn’t make the squad. You can’t help but feel a little bit sorry for both him and (Joe) Burns,” Taylor said. 

“They’re both coming off hundreds in their last Test matches.” 

Taylor said their omissions reflected the country’s current selection ethos. “It’s a sign of the times,” he said. 

“They (the selectors) are picking on recent form rather than their last Test matches, and I guess you could say that Bancroft, (Marnus) Labuschagne, and Wade won that battle of the batsmen.” 

Australia hold the Ashes but have not won a Test series away to England for 18 years. With the series taking place in the same season as a World Cup for the first time since 1975, next week’s first Test will be Australia’s opening first-class match of their tour.

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
AustraliaAustralia in EnglandThe Ashes

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
Pucovski, Green named in Australia Test squad to face India
The duo are among five uncapped players to be named in Australia's 17-man Test squad
userPTI
12 Nov 2020
safari
NEWS
Warner, Smith braced for 'very hostile' South Africa crowds after ball-tampering scandal
Australia are touring South Africa for three T20Is and three ODIs which begins on February 21
userAFP
14 Feb 2020
safari
NEWS
Carey keen to emulate MSD in winning close games
The Australian wicket-keeper batsman is looking forward to facing Bumrah and Shami
userPTI
11 Jan 2020
safari
NEWS
Australia stick to winning formula for New Zealand Tests
The only omission from the squad was spare batsman Cameron Bancroft, who was on standby but did not play against Pakistan
userAFP
03 Dec 2019
safari
NEWS
Bancroft, Burns back as Ashes flops axed for Pakistan Tests
Usman Khawaja and Marcus Harris were axed after flopping during the Ashes series against England
userAFP
14 Nov 2019
safari
NEWS
Paine feels no pressure for his place
Australia are out to end their Edgbaston jinx where they haven't won a game since 2001
userAFP
31 Jul 2019
safari
NEWS
Langer predicts hostile reception for Bancroft from England fans
Langer also confirmed that Khawaja is fit and will play the first Ashes Test
userAFP
30 Jul 2019
safari
NEWS
Bancroft looks to move forward from ball tampering episode
The Australian opener was handed a 9-month ban for tampering with the ball in the Cape Town Test last year
userAFP
28 Jul 2019
safari
NEWS
Australia announce 17-man squad for The Ashes
Smith, Warner and Bancroft return to the Test side for the first time since the Cape Town fiasco
userAFP
26 Jul 2019
safari
NEWS
Australia's Bancroft makes late Ashes call-up bid
Australia will announce their Ashes squad on Friday
userAFP
26 Jul 2019
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved