BCCI says no breach of COVID-19 protocols

back icon
safari
02 Jan 2021 | 10:08 AM
authorPTI

BCCI says no breach of COVID-19 protocols

Terming the Australian media as an extension of their cricket team, the BCCI official rubbished reports

heart

Share

The BCCI rubbished reports that it was investigating a violation of COVID-19 protocols by some Indian cricketers who ate out at a restaurant here, terming them "a malicious spin by a section of Australian media".

A senior Indian cricket board official told PTI that the visiting contingent is "well aware" of the COVID-19 protocols and had not violated any of them. "No, there has been no breach in bio-security protocols. Everyone associated with the Indian team is well aware of the protocols," the official said on conditions of anonymity.

It all started after a fan, identified as Navaldeep Singh, tweeted pictures and videos of cricketers Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant, Navdeep Saini and Shubman Gill having a meal at a restaurant. The fan, who claimed that he was seated close to the players at the restaurant, later apologised for creating confusion by claiming that he had been hugged by Pant after he paid for the players' meal.

As per protocols, players are allowed to eat out provided they take necessary precautions. "We can only term it as a malicious spin by a section of Australian media and this has started after their humiliating defeat," he added.

India crushed Australia by eight wickets in the second Test in Melbourne, making an incredible comeback days after the debacle in the four-match series opener in Adelaide.

The 'Sydney Morning Herald', in a report that was not backed up by any statements from either the BCCI, Cricket Australia or the Indian team management, reported that the restaurant visit was a breach of bio-bubble protocol. "The Australian media at times acts as an extension of their cricket team," the BCCI official said.

The bio-security bubbles have been put in place to ensure the players are not affected by the pandemic that has gripped the world for months now, with parts of Australia reporting fresh outbreaks in recent times.

This had also put the future of the third Test in Sydney in doubt before CA clarified that it would not be shifted to Melbourne. The match will begin on January 7 and the two teams will arrive in Sydney a couple of days before the scheduled start.

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
IndiaIndia tour of Australia, 2020/21

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
CA rejects reports of Indian team's reluctance to play in Brisbane
The Australian media has claimed that the Brisbane Test is in jeopardy because of the tourists' reluctance to travel there in view of harder quarantine rules
userPTI
04 Jan 2021
safari
NEWS
Indian team, support staff test negative for COVID-19
The Sydney Test is due to start on January 7
userPTI
04 Jan 2021
safari
NEWS
Full Indian squad, including isolated five, travelling to Sydney together
Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill, Rishabh Pant, Navdeep Saini and Prithvi Shaw have not been barred from travelling despite an ongoing investigation into bio-security protocol breach
userPTI
03 Jan 2021
safari
NEWS
India allegedly boycott Brisbane, CA hopes the visitors could be convinced
The Indian side would instead prefer playing two Tests at the same venue as per the media reports
userCricket.com staff
03 Jan 2021
safari
NEWS
Rain washes out India's practice session at MCG on Sunday
In the absence of outdoor activities, the players had a gym session as they continued their preparations for the third Test starting in Sydney from January 7
userPTI
03 Jan 2021
safari
NEWS
We won't prefer back-to-back matches in SCG: Wade
The fourth and final match is scheduled from January 15. The four-match Test series is currently level at 1-1
userPTI
03 Jan 2021
safari
NEWS
Five Indian players, including Rohit, in isolation after a possible protocol breach
Per Cricket Australia, the investigation into the possible breach of COVID protocol is underway
userPTI
02 Jan 2021
safari
NEWS
India and Australia not to travel to Sydney before January 4: Hockley
Usually the teams land in Sydney on the eve of the New Year but due to steady coronavirus cases in the city, the players and officials will stay in Melbourne for a longer period this year
userPTI
30 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
COVID-19 Impact: CA bans haircuts of Big Bash players
Other restrictions as per the protocol include a ban on eating out either indoors or outdoors
userPTI
23 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
Warner, Abbott ruled out of Boxing Day Test against India
The governing body said Warner and paceman Sean Abbott had also been excluded from the Australian team's bio-secure bubble in Melbourne
userAFP
23 Dec 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved