back icon
safari
17 Sep 2020 | 01:56 PM
authorPTI
CA working closely with RR to ensure Smith's smooth return
The Australia batsman missed the entire ODI series against England after being hit on the head during practice

Cricket Australia on Thursday revealed that Steven Smith is following "concussion protocols" which are crucial for his return to cricket in the IPL and asserted that it is "not willing" to compromise with the fitness of the Rajasthan Royals skipper. CA said it is working in tandem with RR to ensure his smooth return to competitive action after missing the entire England ODI series due to the concussion suffered during training.

"Cricket Australia has strict protocols when it comes to head impacts and concussions and, as we've seen over the last 12 months, we're not willing to compromise on those," CA's head of sports science Alex Kountouris said in a statement.

"Steve is making progress and working with our medical team through the concussion protocols required to return to play," he added.

Smith along with other England and Australia cricketers will arrive here on Thursday night (UAE time) and undergo a six-day quarantine which means they will all miss action till September 23. RR's first match is on September 22 against Chennai Super Kings. Smith was hit on the head during a net session prior to the first ODI in Manchester and since then recovered well but not enough to play competitive cricket.

Kountouris said the franchise and CA will be working together to monitor Smith's fitness upon his arrival in the UAE. Smith had also endured a concussion during last year's Ashes game at the Lord's and subsequently missed a Test match. "The conservative management of Steve through this injury is consistent with our approach to put the player's welfare first, as we did with him during the Ashes last year," Kountouris said.

The former physio, who has had a long association with the Sri Lankan national team followed by Australians, hinted that CA will not like Smith to be rushed into a match situation. "We are striving to create environments where players trust that our medical team will always put their welfare first and therefore speak openly with them, whether this is about concussion, other injuries or mental health," he stated.

Kountouris said that a lot of research has gone into studying concussions and its related effects. "We have done a lot of research over the last few years to better understand head impacts and concussions specific to cricket, and that has helped up in how we manage our players. "We place the welfare of the player before the game because we strongly believe that is what's best for the player." 

Share
Tags
Steven Peter Devereux SmithIndian Premier League, 2020Rajasthan RoyalsAustraliaIPL 2020
Related Articles
NEWS
Smith hopeful of getting RR's campaign off to good start
The Australia batsman has successfully recovered from a concussion he suffered ahead of the ODI series against England
PTI
21 Sep 2020
NEWS
Smith, Archer, Buttler cleared to play RR's opening match
The Royals will play Chennai Super Kings on Tuesday (September 22)
PTI
19 Sep 2020
NEWS
Smith passes concussion test, available to play second ODI
The 31-year-old was withdrawn from the playing XI of the first ODI after sustaining a blow on the head in the nets from a throw-down by a coaching staff member
PTI
12 Sep 2020
NEWS
Using disinfectants on match balls is under consideration: Kountouris
Kountouris said since other nations, like England, are expected to play before Australia, they can comprehend the results of the measures being taken before implementing them in Australia
PTI
20 May 2020
NEWS
CA to start pre-season under new rules from May end: Report
The report said CA's immediate priority is to draw up protocols for players' pre-season, which include barring the use of saliva or sweat to shine the ball during training
PTI
07 May 2020
NEWS
Smith set to return for tour match against Derbyshire
The former Australian skipper missed the Headingley Test as a precaution and was replaced by Marnus Labuschagne
AFP
25 Aug 2019
NEWS
Smith decision to miss third Test a 'no brainer': Langer
Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Test after suffering concussion
AFP
20 Aug 2019
NEWS
Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test
Smith's absence potentially sets up a thrilling battle at Leeds
AFP
20 Aug 2019
NEWS
Mandatory neck guards ''not far away''
Cricket Australia’s sports science and sports medicine chief Alex Kountouris said it was only a matter of time before they became mandatory
AFP
19 Aug 2019
NEWS
Concussion substitutes could be introduced during Ashes series
In 2017, the ICC had started concussion substitutes in domestic cricket on a two-year trial basis
PTI
17 Jul 2019
Cricket like never before
Term of use
Privacy Policy
Cookies Policy
Follow us on
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved