Cricket West Indies flexible about rearranging England tour

back icon
safari
25 Apr 2020 | 12:11 PM
authorAFP

Cricket West Indies flexible about rearranging England tour

CWI chief executive Johnny Grave has reiterated that player safety remains main priority

heart

Share

Cricket West Indies have said they are "flexible" about rearranging their tour of England but will not risk their players' health just to complete a three-Test series. The fixtures were all due to take place in June but Friday saw the England and Wales Cricket Board extend the delay to the start of its season until July 1. English officials remain hopeful they can reschedule all international fixtures in a programme that also includes three more Tests against Pakistan and white-ball matches against Australia and Ireland, from July until September.

CWI chief executive Johnny Grave insisted while the West Indies were open to a change of dates, player safety remained the priority. "Clearly playing in June is now not possible and we will continue our discussions with the ECB and other international boards on trying to find new dates," said Grave in a statement from the governing body.

"Our respective medical teams are beginning to discuss how this (England) series could be played whilst guaranteeing the health and safety of our players and support team.

"We will be as flexible as we can without compromising the safety of our team," Grave, himself an Englishman, added.

Even if the two boards find mutually acceptable dates, Britain's lockdown restrictions would have to ease for the series to take place in England and even rules banning mass gatherings would likely still be in force, meaning matches would have to take place behind closed doors. ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said Friday the board had received "multiple offers" from other countries to help them complete the domestic season.

His comments came after Surrey chairman Richard Thompson earlier said Abu Dhabi had offered to host matches for the ECB. "We've had offers as far away as Australia and New Zealand," said Harrison. "Those offers are on the table.

"I haven't had anything from Abu Dhabi, but that's not to say the offer hasn't been made."

But Harrison, while still aiming for England to stage a full home 2020 international season, warned: "We're probably getting to the point now where any further delays beyond where we've already started planning for will involve losing cricket rather than rescheduling again."

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
Johnny GraveWest IndiesCWI

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
English County season to start on 1st August
The format has still to be decided, although the ECB said this was "due to be agreed" by the 18 first-class counties in early July
userAFP
30 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
England confirm venues for West Indies series
The first Test will take place at Hampshire's Ageas Bowl ground from July 8-12, with the second and third Tests at Old Trafford in Manchester on July 16-20 and July 24-28 respectively
userAFP
02 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
ECB delays start of domestic season by another month, no cricket before August 1
"While traditional formats of our competitions are the preference, we are not against exploring the unorthodox to ensure that we can return our players to the field," said ECB CEO
userPTI
28 May 2020
safari
NEWS
West Indies players will not be forced to tour England: chief
The Caribbean side are due to travel to play a three-Test series, which has been postponed until July at the earliest
userAFP
14 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Pakistan could play more Tests on England tour if it goes ahead
The PCB has so far kept mum on the chances of the series taking place in England because of the COVID-19 situation
userPTI
11 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Australia, New Zealand have offered to host county matches: Harrison
ECB suspended all forms of professional cricket till July 1 due to the COVID-19 outbreak
userPTI
25 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Virus pushes English cricket season back until July
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said the plan was to reschedule international matches as late as possible in the English season to give the best chance of play
userAFP
24 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
ECB launches £61m aid package for English cricket in response to virus
Meanwhile Harrison said there were no plans to cut the pay of centrally contracted England players
userAFP
01 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Anderson fears virus could wreck English season as Windies offer to stage series
"Cricket and sport is not the be all and end all but it is my livelihood, it's all I know," said Anderson
userPTI
28 Mar 2020
safari
NEWS
Anderson fears virus could wreck English season as Windies offer to stage series
England postponed their tour of Sri Lanka last week. They are next meant to play the West Indies in a three-Test home series, starting on June 4
userAFP
19 Mar 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved