CSA interim boss says South Africa were 'too lax' with England

back icon
safari
10 Dec 2020 | 12:56 PM
authorAFP

CSA interim boss says South Africa were 'too lax' with England

England's tour was called off on Monday after two members of the touring party initially tested positive for Covid-19

heart

Share

Cricket South Africa interim board chairman Zak Yacoob said on Thursday (10 December 2020) he did not want to blame England for the cancellation of their tour but made it clear he felt the decision was unjustified. 

"We think our protocols have been very good," he said. "Any notion that they (England) went away because of anything that was our fault is completely wrong."

England's tour was called off on Monday after two members of the touring party initially tested positive for Covid-19.

"Ultimately they were negative," Yacoob said of follow-up tests which were revealed after the decision had been taken to call off the tour. 

Yacoob said he believed CSA had been "too lax with the English and their desire to do things that they shouldn't be doing." 

He said he did not want to give details but it was reported locally that members of the England party had left their bio-secure environment to play golf on several occasions and also that they had used net facilities at the Newlands ground in Cape Town that were not cleared for use because of Covid-19 restrictions.

England played all three of the scheduled Twenty 20 internationals but none of the three ODIs, the first of which was postponed after a positive test in the South African entourage. 

When the tour was halted on Monday, the CSA and the England and Wales Cricket Board said in a joint statement "the decision was taken jointly by the two Boards to ensure the mental and physical health and welfare of players from both teams."

The England tour party left South Africa on Thursday, as originally scheduled. 

The judge said the curtailed England tour had caused uncertainty about other planned tours, which meant "a lot of work" to convince other boards that touring South Africa was safe would have to be done.

Yacoob insisted he was confident that South Africa was fully capable of hosting future tours, starting with Sri Lanka’s planned Test tour later this month.

"Nothing can be absolutely certain but I am 95 percent certain that the tour will go ahead," said Yacoob.

Sri Lanka are due to arrive next week for two Test matches, starting in Centurion on December 26.

He was less certain about a scheduled Test tour by Australia in February and March.

Responding to suggestions that Australia had proposed their "away" series against South Africa be relocated to Perth in Western Australia, Yacoob said he expected Australia to act in what they thought was in their best interests in terms of cricket politics.

CSA director of cricket Graeme Smith said there had been no engagement on the tour issue with his Australian counterparts but an operational meeting was planned for next week.

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
South AfricaEngland tour of South Africa, 2020

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
CSA interim chief steps down after verbally attacking a journalist
Stavros Nicolaou will lead the Board until the end of its tenure
userCSA Media Release
27 Jan 2021
safari
YEAR-ENDER FEATURE
South Africa cricket crisis: A timeline
A look back at the tumultuous year South Africa have had both on and off the field
userPramod Ananth
31 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
Sri Lanka considering withdrawing from SA tour due to concerns over COVID-19 protocols: Report
The Lankans are scheduled to play two Tests beginning later this month
userPTI
09 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
SA-England ODIs cancelled after Covid-19 outbreak
England will return home without having played any of three scheduled one-day internationals
userAFP
07 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
South Africa vs England 2nd ODI put off as tour hangs in balance
After the three T20Is, the ODI series has hit a roadblock with COVID-19 cases in both camps
userAFP
07 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
Two on England cricket's touring party test positive for COVID
The players and management are now self-isolating in their rooms until further advice from the medical teams, the ECB said
userAP
06 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
South African cricketers in 'despair' at administrative chaos
The chairman of CSA’s interim board, Judge Zak Yacoob, warned earlier that the conflict could discourage England from travelling
userAFP
13 Nov 2020
safari
NEWS
England's tour of South Africa going ahead amid SA government threat
The England and Wales Cricket Board said that three Twenty20s and three one-day internationals will take place behind closed doors in Cape Town and Paarl starting in November
userAFP
21 Oct 2020
safari
NEWS
South Africa sets deadlines for tours
The South African team will require six weeks of preparation before embarking on any tours it was announced
userAFP
31 Mar 2020
safari
NEWS
South Africa call off proposed Pakistan tour citing workload
South Africa play three ODIs in India from March 12 to 18 and the tour of Pakistan for three T20s in Rawalpindi was planned after that
userPTI
14 Feb 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved