ECB cancels contracts of players signed up for 'The Hundred'

back icon
safari
05 May 2020 | 07:19 AM
author
PTI

ECB cancels contracts of players signed up for 'The Hundred'

The new 100-balls-per-side format, to be played by eight teams in separate men's and women's tournaments, was scheduled to be held between July 17 and August 15 but had to be postponed because of the pandemic

heart

Share

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has cancelled contracts of the players who were due to participate in the inaugural edition of 'The Hundred' which was pushed to next year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The new 100-balls-per-side format, to be played by eight teams in separate men's and women's tournaments, was scheduled to be held between July 17 and August 15 but had to be postponed because of the pandemic.

The franchises in the men's competition had already selected their squads in a draft in October, while the women's teams were also in the process of completing their squads.

But now with the tournament delayed, the ECB has sent a letter to the players informing them about the termination of their contracts.

"We can confirm that a letter terminating current player contracts has been issued today to all involved," the BBC quoted an ECB statement.

"This letter is necessary paperwork to legally update and inform players of the situation, which follows a notification last week around the launch of the new competition being moved to 2021.

"We are working closely with PCA on a number of options for players regarding next year's launch."

The 100-ball competition was postponed last Thursday due to global travel restrictions in the wake of the highly-contagious disease which has left more than 2 lakh dead so far worldwide and over 30 lakh infected.

Due to the health crisis, the ECB had also suspended its domestic season until at least July 1.

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
England

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
South Africa women's tour of England cancelled due to travel restriction in wake of COVID-19
The team was was scheduled to play four ODIs and two T20Is in a bio-secure environment in England
userPTI
19 Aug 2020
safari
NEWS
English County season to start on 1st August
The format has still to be decided, although the ECB said this was "due to be agreed" by the 18 first-class counties in early July
userAFP
30 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
The Hundred: 20% reduction in men's salary in 2021, cricketers to get 11.5% for 2020
The decision was reached after negotiations between ECB and the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA)
userPTI
26 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
England confirm venues for West Indies series
The first Test will take place at Hampshire's Ageas Bowl ground from July 8-12, with the second and third Tests at Old Trafford in Manchester on July 16-20 and July 24-28 respectively
userAFP
02 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
ECB delays start of domestic season by another month, no cricket before August 1
"While traditional formats of our competitions are the preference, we are not against exploring the unorthodox to ensure that we can return our players to the field," said ECB CEO
userPTI
28 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Surrey cancel contracts of Shadab Khan, D'Arcy Short
Both Shadab and Short were due to feature in the inaugural season of the Hundred, which was also postponed to 2021 due to the global health crisis
userPTI
01 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Australia, New Zealand have offered to host county matches: Harrison
ECB suspended all forms of professional cricket till July 1 due to the COVID-19 outbreak
userPTI
25 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Virus pushes English cricket season back until July
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said the plan was to reschedule international matches as late as possible in the English season to give the best chance of play
userAFP
24 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Coronavirus leaves English cricket facing uncertain season
Last week the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced that no professional cricket would be played before May 28 at the earliest
userAFP
25 Mar 2020
safari
NEWS
Equal prize money for men and women in England's Hundred
The ECB said the total prize budget of £600,000 would be split fifty-fifty between the women's and men's competitions
userAFP
04 Mar 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved