ECB delays start of domestic season by another month, no cricket before August 1

back icon
safari
28 May 2020 | 03:11 PM
authorPTI

ECB delays start of domestic season by another month, no cricket before August 1

"While traditional formats of our competitions are the preference, we are not against exploring the unorthodox to ensure that we can return our players to the field," said ECB CEO

heart

Share

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) on Thursday delayed the start of the professional domestic cricket season by another month with no activity to take place before August 1 but is likely to host West Indies in July, as scheduled.

The ECB had earlier suspended all its domestic cricket activities till July 1 in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) can today confirm a further delay to the start of the professional domestic cricket season, with no domestic cricket to be played before 1 August," said the ECB in a statement.

"The specifics of the season remain subject to ongoing advice from UK Government and health experts, but the ambition remains to host domestic men's and women's cricket across England and Wales later this summer."

However, ECB is likely to go ahead with its plan of conducting international cricket under bio-secure conditions with the West Indies series in July.

"As the ongoing COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, these scenarios will be worked on and assessed. Learnings from the return-to-training programmes for England Men's players will be incorporated, in addition to those sourced from any international matches played behind closed doors," said the board.

ECB CEO Tom Harrison said they are committed to starting county cricket at the earliest.

"While traditional formats of our competitions are the preference, we are not against exploring the unorthodox to ensure that we can return our players to the field.

"That can only happen though when it is safe, and we have said throughout this crisis that the safety and well-being of everyone involved in the game is our key priority.

"We have learned a lot and continue to learn about the safety protocols that would need to be in place to stage international cricket behind closed doors in this environment and those protocols will also need to apply to the domestic game," the ECB added.

The England national team players resumed training in batches earlier this month, strictly following the government guidelines on social distancing.

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
EnglandWest IndiesECB

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
South Africa women's tour of England cancelled due to travel restriction in wake of COVID-19
The team was was scheduled to play four ODIs and two T20Is in a bio-secure environment in England
userPTI
19 Aug 2020
safari
NEWS
English County season to start on 1st August
The format has still to be decided, although the ECB said this was "due to be agreed" by the 18 first-class counties in early July
userAFP
30 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
England confirm venues for West Indies series
The first Test will take place at Hampshire's Ageas Bowl ground from July 8-12, with the second and third Tests at Old Trafford in Manchester on July 16-20 and July 24-28 respectively
userAFP
02 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
ECB welcomes UK government's decision to resume cricket behind closed doors
Last week, the ECB named 55 players who have been asked to resume outdoor training to prepare for cricket behind close doors
userPTI
01 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
ECB to step up plans to restart cricket behind closed doors
The board will also seek to understand the specific guidance from Government's medical teams
userAFP
31 May 2020
safari
NEWS
ECB seeks coronavirus replacements from ICC for upcoming Test series
The change would apply to Test cricket but not ODIs and T20Is
userPTI
30 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Pakistan could play more Tests on England tour if it goes ahead
The PCB has so far kept mum on the chances of the series taking place in England because of the COVID-19 situation
userPTI
11 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Australia, New Zealand have offered to host county matches: Harrison
ECB suspended all forms of professional cricket till July 1 due to the COVID-19 outbreak
userPTI
25 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Virus pushes English cricket season back until July
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said the plan was to reschedule international matches as late as possible in the English season to give the best chance of play
userAFP
24 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
No cricket will be played in England and Wales till May 28: ECB
The ECB has already begun working on revised schedules
userECB Media Release
21 Mar 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved