ECB welcomes UK government's decision to resume cricket behind closed doors

back icon
safari
01 Jun 2020 | 06:04 AM
authorPTI

ECB welcomes UK government's decision to resume cricket behind closed doors

Last week, the ECB named 55 players who have been asked to resume outdoor training to prepare for cricket behind close doors

heart

Share

The England and Wales Cricket Board has welcomed the UK government's decision to allow the resumption of professional sports behind closed doors, a decision that clears the path for the ECB to host international matches starting next month.

In the latest health and safety guidelines designed to prevent the spread of coronavirus, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Oliver Dowden on Saturday (30th May) gave the green light for live competitive sport to return behind closed doors in safe and carefully controlled environments from June 1.

"We are extremely heartened by Saturday's announcement from the Secretary of State, which will support the return of professional, domestic cricket behind closed doors, and provides a meaningful next step for recreational players to begin playing at their clubs again," England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said in a statement.

The board added that it will study the guidelines laid down by the government to safely resume the game.

"Over the coming week, we will seek to understand the specific guidance from Government's medical teams so that we can provide support for cricket clubs who will be eager to see their communities safely playing in small groups."

"We extend our thanks to all those in Government who have worked hard to support the return of sport and we look forward to seeing players from across the game start returning to the field," it added.

Despite the pandemic delaying the start of their home season, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) plans to stage a full international programme that includes a three-Test series against West Indies, scheduled to start on July 8, and Pakistan as well as limited-overs internationals against Australia and Ireland at 'bio-secure' venues.

Last week, the ECB named 55 players who have been asked to resume outdoor training to prepare for cricket behind closed doors.

However, the board pushed back the start of the domestic cricket season to August 1.

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
England

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
English County season to start on 1st August
The format has still to be decided, although the ECB said this was "due to be agreed" by the 18 first-class counties in early July
userAFP
30 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
England confirm venues for West Indies series
The first Test will take place at Hampshire's Ageas Bowl ground from July 8-12, with the second and third Tests at Old Trafford in Manchester on July 16-20 and July 24-28 respectively
userAFP
02 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
ECB to step up plans to restart cricket behind closed doors
The board will also seek to understand the specific guidance from Government's medical teams
userAFP
31 May 2020
safari
NEWS
West Indies cricket board approves 'bio-secure' England tour
The ECB has proposed two venues for the three-match Test series starting July 8
userPTI
30 May 2020
safari
NEWS
ECB delays start of domestic season by another month, no cricket before August 1
"While traditional formats of our competitions are the preference, we are not against exploring the unorthodox to ensure that we can return our players to the field," said ECB CEO
userPTI
28 May 2020
safari
NEWS
West Indies Test cricketers resume training after COVID-19 hiatus
The players trained under the watchful eyes of West Indies assistant coach Roddy Estwick, as well as other coaches from the Barbados Cricket Association
userPTI
26 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Safety protocol complications delay England bowlers' return to training
The ECB has announced that up to 18 bowlers will be involved from Thursday
userAFP
20 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Feels a long way away from getting back to playing cricket: Broad
The 33-year-old is confident that the stakeholders of the game won't be going be going ahead with tournaments if any risks are involved
userPTI
30 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Virus pushes English cricket season back until July
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said the plan was to reschedule international matches as late as possible in the English season to give the best chance of play
userAFP
24 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
No cricket will be played in England and Wales till May 28: ECB
The ECB has already begun working on revised schedules
userECB Media Release
21 Mar 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved