Strict quarantine rules in Australia could see top English players and coaching staff boycotting the 2021-22 Ashes which could force the England and Wales Board (ECB) to field an under strength team, according to a report by ESPNCricinfo.
"The players have been left disappointed because of ECB's refusal to even countenance a partial or even complete postponement of the tour. As a result, they are considering their options. One of those options is understood to be the entire team - including coaching and support staff - taking a collective decision to boycott the tour," the report said.
Previously, tennis players arriving for this year's Australian Open had complained about being isolated in government maintained facilities where there was no scope for training.
Some of the England players will be away from their families for four months for the IPL 2021 followed by the T20 World Cup. The ECB looked to have arranged for the family members to accompany them for the who do not want their families to be put through the ordeal of strict quarantine.
"The nature of the quarantine is also understood to have disappointed the players. Although there has been talk of allowing them the use of a resort hotel on the Gold Coast, it is now understood they are likely to be permitted only two or three hours out of their hotel rooms each day for training.
"There is also a possibility the squad will be obliged to remain in some sort of 'bubble' throughout the tour to avoid difficulties in moving between states. Families, meanwhile, could still be required to undergo a 'hard' quarantine involving 14 days in a hotel room," the report said.
The much-anticipated Test series is scheduled to be played from December 8 to January 18.