English women's cricket chief braced for season cancellation

back icon
safari
07 May 2020 | 06:35 AM
authorAFP

English women's cricket chief braced for season cancellation

England's women are due to play home series against India, delayed from its original June date, and South Africa in September this year

heart

Share

The head of English women's cricket will accept the England men's team being made the priority this season if that helps safeguard the long-term future of the game.

England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Tom Harrison said on Tuesday (5th May) that a season without any play could cost the governing body 380 million pound (USD 469 million).

The start of the English season has been delayed until July 1 at the earliest, with Harrison making it clear that men's international matches are first in line to be salvaged.

England's women are due to play home series against India, delayed from its original June date, and South Africa in September this year.

"If the international women's schedule can't be fulfilled in full, but a large amount of the international men's programme can this summer, which is going to reduce that 380m pound hole, we have to be realistic about that," Clare Connor, the ECB's managing director of women's cricket, told reporters in a conference call on Wednesday.

"In order for the whole game to survive, the financial necessity rests upon many of those international men's matches being fulfilled.

"If we have to play less international women's cricket this summer to safeguard the longer-term future and investment and building the infrastructure for a more stable and sustainable women's game, then that is probably a hit we might have to take."

Connor, a former England captain, added: "That's not to say we won't be fighting hard to play our international schedule against India and South Africa as best we can."

Officials had been hoping to build on the success of the women's T20 World Cup which saw hosts Australia beat India in a final that attracted a record-breaking crowd of more than 86,000 to the Melbourne Cricket Ground in March.

But England captain Heather Knight recently said she feared the women's game could be left behind in light of the COVID-19 outbreak.

The decision to delay the inaugural season of the Hundred until 2021 has left the women's game without a marquee domestic tournament after the ECB ended the standalone Super League last season.

But Connor is determined women's cricket won't be held back, even though she was unable to assure that the ECB's planned outlay of 20 million pound over two years for the women's game would remain untouched by the fall-out from the pandemic.

"We can't give that guarantee of ring-fencing, but what we can give is a guarantee or a promise that the vision for the game remains unchanged," she said.

Connor, however, was concerned about the broader impact of the season being potentially scrapped.

"We could face that loss of participation of women and girls who had just had their appetite whetted who aren't going to be able to experience this year."

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
England Women

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
England women's cricket team to make 'historic' trip to Pakistan
England Women, world champions in the 50-over format, will compete in three one-day internationals, on October 18, 20 and 22
userAFP
07 Jan 2021
safari
NEWS
Zampa and Gardner commit to Birmingham for The Hundred
Zampa had already been signed up by the Phoenix in a televised draft and the leg-spinner is now set to honour that commitment by playing for the Phoenix in 2021, with Gardner joining the franchise women's team
userAFP
03 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
South Africa women's tour of England cancelled due to travel restriction in wake of COVID-19
The team was was scheduled to play four ODIs and two T20Is in a bio-secure environment in England
userPTI
19 Aug 2020
safari
NEWS
BCCI thinking of women's cricket, just needs to be more specific in communication: Anjum Chopra
Speaking to PTI, Chopra, who is now a successful broadcaster, said the BCCI is thinking in earnest about the progress of women's cricket
userPTI
04 Aug 2020
safari
NEWS
We're talking to India and South Africa for a women's tri-series: ECB
Indian women's team were supposed to play a bilateral series comprising three ODIs and three T20Is against England which remains postponed for the time being
userPTI
10 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
Funding for women's cricket in England to be protected
Boosting participation among women and girls is "the game's biggest growth opportunity," according to the Inspiring Generations strategy document
userAP
21 May 2020
safari
NEWS
CSA and CWI postpone Women's ODI and men's A team series'
Both series were scheduled to be held in the Caribbean
userCricket South Africa Media Release
13 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Heather Knight concerned for women's sport post-virus
There are concerns that cash-strapped governing bodies, desperate to regain lost income, will prioritise money-spinning men's events over generally less lucrative women's fixtures when live action resumes
userAFP
27 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
ICC launches campaign to promote women's cricket
The campaign was launched on the occasion of the International Women's Day ahead of the T20 World Cup final at the MCG
userPTI
08 Mar 2020
safari
NEWS
Equal prize money for men and women in England's Hundred
The ECB said the total prize budget of £600,000 would be split fifty-fifty between the women's and men's competitions
userAFP
04 Mar 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved