India tour back on track after Bangladesh players call off strike

back icon
safari
24 Oct 2019 | 05:41 AM
author
PTI

India tour back on track after Bangladesh players call off strike

They got assurance from the country’s board that all their demands will be met

heart

Share

Dhaka: Bangladesh cricketers, led by star all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan, have called off their strike over pay and benefits after getting assurance from the country’s board that all their demands will be met, putting their tour of India back on track. 

The deadlock between the players and Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) ended after a two-hour long meeting which went on close to midnight on Wednesday. 

The truce means that the team’s T20 and Test tour of India, beginning November 3, will go on as per schedule and players will be joining the preparatory camp on Friday. 

“As Papon bhai (BCB boss Nazmul Hassan) said, it was a fruitful discussion. He and the rest of the directors assured us that our demands will be met as soon as possible. Based on their assurance, we will start playing the NCL and attend the training camp,” Shakib was quoted as saying by ‘ESPNCricinfo’. 

Shakib attended the meeting alongside other senior players including Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah and Tamim Iqbal. 

The players added two more demands to the 11 made on Monday, asking for a percentage of BCB revenues and equal pay for women cricketers. 

BCB president Hassan did not commit anything on the two latest demands but said the original 11 will be fulfilled. Players had also demanded fresh elections in the players’ body and BCB agreed to that. 

“We told them that there should be CWAB elections (players’ body) swiftly. We want a representative from the current players, so that our problems can be discussed with the board regularly. It will be the best for the players. 

“They have agreed, and the elections will be held when we are all available. We can tell you that we are happy when the demands are implemented, but discussions have been satisfying,” said Shakib. 

Hassan, who had earlier slammed the players for the timing of the strike calling it a conspiracy, on Wednesday said the Board agreed to most of the cricketers’ demands. 

“Among their 11 demands, the first one (CWAB elections) doesn’t have anything to do with the BCB and the last demand (more than two NOCs per year to play franchise tournaments) will be taken case to case. 

“We have agreed with the rest of the demands, like the DPL transfers and BPL franchise model. We will also significantly improve their allowances in the domestic competitions, and it will be done in the next two or three days. Not in six months or a year,” said the BCB chief. 

The unprecedented strike, which began on Monday, also included first-class cricketers. 

On Tuesday night, the BCB agreed to one of the key demands of the players - to bring back the Dhaka Premier League’s club transfer system - following a meeting of the Dhaka league committee. 

The players’ other main demands were: Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) must go back to franchise model, central contract salary should be higher, and include more players, higher first-class match fees and players’ association to no longer have conflict of interest. 

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
Shakib Al HasanBangladeshIndia vs Bangladesh 2019Ind vs Ban 2019BCBNazmul Hassan

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
BCB forced to cancel BPL 2020 due to COVID-19
The BCB chief also ruled out the possibility of shifting the tournament in a foreign land
userPTI
12 Oct 2020
safari
NEWS
Bangladesh opener Hassan tests positive for coronavirus
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) confirmed that the 21-year-old opener as well as one of the coaching staff had tested positive and that both had immediately gone into self-isolation
userAFP
09 Sep 2020
safari
NEWS
BCB launches app to track symptoms related to COVID-19 among its players
In its bid to help the players, the BCB has come up with the 'COVID-19 well-being app'
userPTI
26 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
Bangladesh Cricket Board approves allowance for women cricketers to cope with COVID-19 shutdown
The cricketers who will benefit are the ones who appeared in the 2018-19 women's National Cricket League and have been in BCB's selection camps in 2019-20
userPTI
31 Mar 2020
safari
NEWS
We had no prior knowledge of ICC investigation on Shakib: BCB chief
Nazmul Hassan backed Shakib to come back as a better and wiser person
userPTI
30 Oct 2019
safari
NEWS
Shakib made a mistake, BCB will stand by him: Bangladesh PM
During the suspension the BCB will continue to support his efforts at returning to cricket
userPTI
30 Oct 2019
safari
NEWS
Shakib kept away from practice on ICC insistence
The all-rounder faces ban for not reporting a corrupt approach
userPTI
29 Oct 2019
safari
NEWS
There are people trying to sabotage Bangladesh's India tour, claims BCB president
The top boss is still livid with the arm-twisting tactic employed by senior cricketers and feels he made a mistake by agreeing to their demands.
userPTI
28 Oct 2019
safari
NEWS
BCB smells conspiracy behind players' strike
They however are hopeful that the upcoming tour of India will go on as per schedule
userPTI
23 Oct 2019
safari
NEWS
Bangladesh players announce strike; India tour under threat
Players won’t take part in ongoing National Cricket League and upcoming training camp
userCricket.com Staff
21 Oct 2019
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved