Jofra Archer available for third Test despite COVID breach

back icon
safari
18 Jul 2020 | 01:27 PM
authorAFP

Jofra Archer available for third Test despite COVID breach

The pacer will now undergo two COVID-19 tests, which have to produce negative results, before his self-isolation period is lifted

heart

Share

England fast bowler Jofra Archer will be available to play in next week's third and final Test against the West Indies after being ruled out of the second match for a breach of coronavirus protocols, the England and Wales Cricket Board announced on Saturday (July 18).

Both teams have been living in "bio-secure bubble" sites at the Ageas Bowl, the venue for last week's first Test, and Emirates Old Trafford, where the final two matches of the series are taking place.

Archer broke the rules by going home to Hove on Monday, during which time he met with an unnamed individual from outside the "bubble" following England's four-wicket loss in the first Test at Southampton last week before the team travelled to Manchester.

He was then left out of the ongoing second Test that started Thursday, with Archer self-isolating in an onsite hotel room at Old Trafford for five days.

A disciplinary hearing chaired by England managing director Ashley Giles on Friday decided an "undisclosed" fine and a written warning amounted to sufficient punishment, with the 25-year-old Archer's "impeccable record" counting in his favour.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan had called for Archer to also be dropped from the third Test.

Archer will now undergo two COVID-19 tests, which have to produce negative results before his self-isolation period is lifted.

The ECB said Archer was due to rejoin the squad on Tuesday (July 21), three days before Friday's start of the third Test.

"Jofra Archer has been fined an undisclosed amount and received an official written warning after admitting to breaching the team's bio-secure protocols on Monday 13 July when he made an unauthorised visit to his home in Hove," said an ECB statement.

Before the second Test started, Archer apologised by saying he was "extremely sorry", adding: "I fully accept the consequences of my actions."

Archer was expected to play in the second Test after taking three wickets during the West Indies' successful run chase in Southampton, with England having decided to rest fellow seam bowlers James Anderson and Mark Wood.

Archer burst onto the international scene last year, when he bowled the decisive Super Over in England's World Cup final win over New Zealand at Lord's.

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
Jofra Chioke ArcherEnglandWest IndiesWest Indies tour of England, 2020Old Trafford, ManchesterEngland vs West Indies - 3rd Test - The Wisden Trophy, 2020

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
Archer back in England squad for West Indies decider
Stuart Broad, Chris Woakes and Sam Curran, who helped bowl England to a 113-run win in the second Test have been retained
userAFP
23 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Archer could miss third Test after revealing racist abuse
He said some of the social media criticism he had received had been racist and felt uncertain about taking the field on Friday for the final Test, also at Old Trafford
userAFP
22 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Archer cleared to rejoin England squad after negative virus test
The fast bowler was left out after the ECB revealed on the first morning of the game that he had breached bio-secure regulations
userAFP
21 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Don't think Archer will play next Test, but England must look after him: Vaughan
The former batsman, who has scored 5719 runs in 82 Tests for England, believes Archer will have to earn the trust of the dressing room after his recent antics
userPTI
17 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Archer's virus error 'could have cost tens of millions', says Ashley Giles
Archer was omitted after he went home to Brighton on Monday to meet an unnamed individual following the end of last week's first Test in Southampton -- directly contravening strict guidelines
userAFP
17 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Archer dropped from 2nd Test due to breach of bio-secure protocols
Archer will now commence five days of isolation and will undergo two COVID-19 tests in this period, which have to test negative before his self-isolation period is lifted
userAFP
16 Jul 2020
safari
NEWS
Those were dark times: Archer opens up on his back injury lay-off as teenager
Archer had suffered the injury after making it to the West Indies U-19 level before his move to England in 2015
userAgencies
13 May 2020
safari
OPINION
The Barbadian bloke who forced a rule-change!
On this day in 2019, Jofra Archer made his international debut and went on to have an incredible rookie year
userHardik Worah
03 May 2020
safari
ONTHISDAY
Jofra Archer’s Ashes exploits
Impressing everyone with his potential, the Barbadian was fast-tracked into England’s national team last year. As Archer turns 25 today, let us have a sneak-peak into his heroics in the 2019 Ashes.
userCricket.com Staff
01 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Archer ruled out of IPL 2020
The England fast bowler has suffered a low-grade stress fracture of the right elbow
userECB Media Release
06 Feb 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved