back icon
safari
12 Aug 2020 | 07:19 AM
authorPTI
Kent's double-centurion Jordan Cox dropped for breaching COVID-19 protocols
Cox will have to self-isolate and will have to test negative for COVID-19 before he is allowed to join the squad again

Jordan Cox, an English county cricketer representing Kent, has been dropped from the side's next first-class match after he posed for a photo with young fans, breaching the COVID-19 health safety protocols.

The 19-year-old broke quite a few Kent records on Monday with an unbeaten innings of 237 in an unbroken 423-run partnership with Jack Leaning in the four-day match against Sussex in the Bob Willis Trophy.

But agreeing to a request for a photo with some young fans means he will not be a part of the team's next game against Middlesex on Saturday.

He apologised for the indiscretion.

"I fully understand the consequences, and I want to apologise to everyone," Cox said in a statement.

"I'm gutted to be missing the next match and feel like I have let the team down. I am very sorry that this has happened."

Cox will now have to self-isolate and will have to test negative for COVID-19 before he is allowed to join the squad again.

Kent's director of cricket Paul Downton said Cox's breach was "unfortunate".

"It is unfortunate for Jordan that on the back of an outstanding performance, our team medical protocols were breached.

"We take these protocols very seriously and Jordan has no choice but to go into self-isolation," Downton said.

Kent won the match against Sussex and Cox hit 47 fours and three sixes during his 570-ball stay in the middle.

Share
Tags
Jordan Matthew CoxEnglandKent
Related Articles
NEWS
Despite COVID threat, PCB allows players to be joined by families for T20 meet
The board said that as part of the COVID protocols, the families will have to undergo two mandatory tests
PTI
08 Oct 2020
NEWS
Sense of humour goes a long way in dealing with bowling at the death, says Jordan
Being a new addition to the side, the England pacer is also enjoying picking the brains Mohammed Shami.
PTI
29 Sep 2020
NEWS
Aussie bowler Mitch Claydon suspended in 'hand sanitiser' case
A case against thim was opened by the ECB following a match against Middlesex last month in which he took three wickets
AFP
06 Sep 2020
NEWS
Mohammad Hafeez in isolation after golf course virus breach
The PCB said the England and Wales Cricket Board had been informed of their action regarding Hafeez
AFP
12 Aug 2020
NEWS
Ollie Robinson added to England squad ahead of second Test
The uncapped fast bowler was has been withdrawn from the Sussex squad, which was set to face Canterbury
AFP
08 Aug 2020
NEWS
Jofra Archer available for third Test despite COVID breach
The pacer will now undergo two COVID-19 tests, which have to produce negative results, before his self-isolation period is lifted
AFP
18 Jul 2020
NEWS
Archer dropped from 2nd Test due to breach of bio-secure protocols
Archer will now commence five days of isolation and will undergo two COVID-19 tests in this period, which have to test negative before his self-isolation period is lifted
AFP
16 Jul 2020
NEWS
Matt Henry's contract with Kent Cricket mutually withdrawn due to COVID-19 pandemic
Henry thus became the fourth cricketer after Nathan Lyon, Cheteshwar Pujara and Michael Neser to miss out on a stint in county cricket this year due to the deadly disease
PTI
15 Apr 2020
NEWS
Jofra Archer extends contract with Sussex
The deal will keep him at Sussex -- who are presently in the second tier of the county championship -- till at least the end of the 2022 season
AFP
05 Mar 2020
NEWS
Billings ruled out of England duty after dislocating shoulder
Billings was hoping to get into the England World Cup squad as the reserve batsman
Agencies
27 Apr 2019
Cricket like never before
Term of use
Privacy Policy
Cookies Policy
Follow us on
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved