Lehmann expresses delight at Yorkshire return

back icon
safari
20 Aug 2019 | 12:40 PM
author
AFP

Lehmann expresses delight at Yorkshire return

He will take charge of the Leeds-based team in the inaugural The Hundred tournament

heart

Share

Darren Lehmann, who stood down as Australia coach in the wake of the ball-tampering scandal, is to take charge of the Leeds-based team in next year’s inaugural The Hundred tournament.

The 49-year-old -- who was cleared of involvement in the scandal which resulted in Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft being banned -- told Press Association Sport he was delighted to be returning to Yorkshire.

The former Australian batsman who represented his country in 27 Tests and 117 One Day Internationals was part of the Yorkshire side that won the county championship in 2001, their first since 1968.

“It’s great to be back. I hoped I’d get the chance when I heard about it and I’m so excited the opportunity came along,” Lehmann told PA, 18 months on from the so-called ‘sandpaper-gate’ scandal in South Africa in March last year.

“It was a great experience of my career to play here, where the passion for the game is second to none.

“The connection is strong, I have so many family and friends around and I was lucky enough to be involved in ending Yorkshire’s long wait for a county championship win in 2001.” 

Lehmann, who underwent counselling following his resignation, told the BBC he had no interest in returning to international cricket.

“No, I’ve gone past that,” said Lehmann, who coached Australia from 2013-18.

“It’s more about tournaments and having a bit of fun.

“I’ll certainly stay away from international coaching, I don’t want to travel that much any more.” 

Lehmann, who won two World Cups as a player and added a third when he coached Australia to the 2015 trophy, is pleased that Smith, Warner and Bancroft have all been recalled following their bans and are playing in the Ashes series which the tourists lead 1-0 after two Tests.

“I’m just looking forward to watching them play,” said Lehmann ahead of the third Test which gets underway in Leeds at Headingley on Thursday.

“The game has moved on and people have got to move on as well, I’m glad those guys are playing their part in a great contest between Australia and England.

“It’s been an enthralling series.” 

Lehmann, whose team is reportedly going to be called the ‘Northern Superchargers’, is one of four Australians already appointed coaches of The Hundred teams.

Shane Warne, Simon Katich and Andrew McDonald are the other Australians whilst South African Gary Kirsten has also been appointed a coach.

Lehmann, though, is keen to promote English coaching talent.

“You’d be mad not to try and help young English coaches and work closely with them,” he said.

“I’d certainly like to get people from the county system involved and work closely with them, you’re always learning as a coach so I can learn from them and vice-versa.”  

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
Darren LehmannLeedsThe hundred

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
India can still script turnaround against Australia: Lehmann
The 50-year-old former Australia batsman opined that India have a potent bowling attack
userPTI
23 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
I'm sticking with Joe Burns for first Test, says Ponting
The 31-year-old Burns has been going through a terrible phase, having scored just 62 runs at 6.89 with a highest score of 29 in his last nine first-class innings
userPTI
15 Dec 2020
safari
NEWS
It's time to embrace split-coaching, says Lehmann
The 50-year-old Lehmann suggested dividing responsibilities on the basis of formats
userPTI
27 May 2020
safari
NEWS
Smith again eligible for captaincy after two-year ban ends
Smith was stripped of the captaincy and banned from leading Australia for two years over his involvement in the 2018 ball-tampering scandal in South Africa
userPTI
29 Mar 2020
safari
NEWS
Lehmann to undergo heart bypass operation
The former Australia coach was rushed to the hospital after complaining of chest pain
userAFP
06 Feb 2020
safari
NEWS
Ex-Aussie coach Lehmann quits social media after 'vile' hack
The person responsible used his account to promote anti-Iran messages and propaganda to Lehmann's 341,000 followers
userAFP
07 Jan 2020
safari
NEWS
No pressure on Warner and Smith against South Africa: Justin Langer
Smith and Warner will be facing South Africa for the first time since their bans
userAFP
05 Jul 2019
safari
NEWS
Burns' chances of playing Ashes in doubt
Joe Burns has been diagnosed with fatigue and burn-out stemming from a viral infection last year.
userAFP
05 Jun 2019
safari
NEWS
Joe Burns leaves Lancashire 'for personal reasons'
The reason for his departure was not clear
userAFP
21 May 2019
safari
NEWS
Langer confident Smith and Warner ready to 'face the fire' in England
The star batsmen are back in the Australia fold ahead of a lengthy tour of England
userAFP
20 May 2019
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved