Mandatory neck guards ''not far away''

back icon
safari
19 Aug 2019 | 08:48 AM
authorAFP

Mandatory neck guards ''not far away''

Cricket Australia’s sports science and sports medicine chief Alex Kountouris said it was only a matter of time before they became mandatory

heart

Share

Compulsory neck guards on helmets for Australian cricketers are “not far away”, the national team’s medical chief said after a sickening blow felled Steve Smith during the second Ashes Test. 

Australia have been at the forefront of pressing for better safety measures after the death of Phillip Hughes, who was hit on the base of the skull by a bouncer in a Sheffield Shield game in 2014. 

Following an independent investigation into the tragedy, Cricket Australia introduced new rules for concussion substitutes in domestic games. 

These have now been adopted by the International Cricket Council and were used for the first time when Smith was replaced by Marnus Labuschagne on Sunday against England at Lord’s after medics ruled him unfit to carry on. 

The inquest into Hughes’ death also recommended first-class players in Australia wear helmets made to British safety standards while batting against medium pace or fast bowling. 

That included the use of specially designed neck guards, known as StemGuards. 

But they are not compulsory and Smith, who collapsed to the ground face first after the vicious ball from Jofra Archer smacked into the side of his neck, in scenes reminiscent of the Hughes incident, was not wearing one. 

He said afterwards they made him claustrophobic and uncomfortable. 

Cricket Australia’s sports science and sports medicine chief Alex Kountouris said it was only a matter of time before they became mandatory, revealing the International Cricket Council, Cricket Australia, the England and Wales Cricket Board, and helmet manufacturers recently completed a major review. 

“Helmet manufacturers did the right thing and came out with products (after Hughes’ death). There was no real knowledge of the mechanism, what exactly they were trying to protect or stuff like that,” Kountouris told the Sydney Morning Herald. 

“But since that time we have done a lot of research. We actually have a pretty good understanding of that now.” Now there was agreement on what the standard should look like, including the size and area that needs to be covered and the force properties it should have. 

Kountouris said it would take about six months for manufacturers to complete the upgraded product, which then would be trialled by players. 

“Obviously, at some point, we want to make it a requirement to wear but we want to make sure we have the right products -- we haven’t seen what the products are at the moment,” he said. 

“When we get to that point, I think we’ll be comfortable to say: ‘Let’s make it a requirement’. There is still a little time to go but we are not far away.” 

Peter Brukner, the former doctor of the Australian team from 2012-2017, said he was astonished that some top players still don’t wear neck guards. 

“I think it should be (mandatory),” he told The Australian newspaper. 

Smith, by far Australia’s best batsman, is now facing a race against the clock to be passed fit for the third Test at Headingley later this week. 

While Australia captain Tim Paine said it would be “tough to stop Smithy walking out” for the match, the decision is ultimately up to team doctor Richard Saw. 

Kountouris said at a press conference Monday he was “100 percent happy” with how Saw had handled the situation so far. 

“Our doctor is an expert in his field, he’s trained to pick up even the minor signs of concussion,” he said. “Everything he did was according to the protocol, he was very thorough.”

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
Steve SmithJofra ArcherMarnus LabuschagneAlex KountourisCompulsory neck guards on helmets2nd Ashes TestAshes 2019Lord's Test

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
Tendulkar urges ICC to make helmets mandatory for batsmen
The tragic death of young Australian batsman Phillip Hughes after being hit by a Sean Abbott bouncer during a domestic match in November 2014 had triggered a debate on players' safety
userPTI
03 Nov 2020
safari
NEWS
CA working closely with RR to ensure Smith's smooth return
The Australia batsman missed the entire ODI series against England after being hit on the head during practice
userPTI
17 Sep 2020
safari
NEWS
Emotional Australia cricketers pay tribute to Hughes, five years after death
Cricket Australia chief executive Kevin Roberts said the impact of Hughes’ tragic death was still being felt
userAFP
28 Nov 2019
safari
NEWS
Smith decision to miss third Test a 'no brainer': Langer
Steve Smith has been ruled out of the third Test after suffering concussion
userAFP
20 Aug 2019
safari
NEWS
BCCI briefs players on anti-concussion helmets
BCCI says wearing neck guard is players' choice
userPTI
20 Aug 2019
safari
NEWS
Steve Smith ruled out of third Ashes Test
Smith's absence potentially sets up a thrilling battle at Leeds
userAFP
20 Aug 2019
safari
NEWS
Steve Smith out of the second Test owing to concussion
Marnus Labuschagne replaced Smith in the match
userAFP
18 Aug 2019
safari
NEWS
Australia cricket union condemns boos after Smith felled by Archer
Smith was hit on the neck by a bouncer from Archer
userAFP
18 Aug 2019
safari
NEWS
Langer says Smith blow may see neck guards become compulsory
Smith was retired hurt after being hit on the neck by a bouncer
userAFP
18 Aug 2019
safari
ANALYSIS
Cummins double stuns England after Smith makes brave 92 in second Test
Thrilling day's play set up the Lord's Test for an exciting finish
userAFP
17 Aug 2019
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved