New Zealand tour of Pakistan abandoned

back icon
safari
17 Sep 2021 | 09:49 AM
authorcricket.com staff

New Zealand tour of Pakistan abandoned

Following a New Zealand government security alert, the Blackcaps' first tour of Pakistan since 2003 will not go ahead

The Blackcaps have abandoned their tour of Pakistan, following a New Zealand government security alert, according to a media release from NZC. New Zealand and Pakistan were to play as many as three One-Day Internationals (ODI) and five T20 Internationals (T20I). The first ODI was supposed to be played in Rawalpindi today (September 17).

"Following an escalation in the New Zealand Government threat levels for Pakistan and advice from NZC security advisors on the ground, it has been decided the BLACKCAPS will not continue with the tour," a release from NZC said.

The arrangements are now being made for the New Zealand team's departure from Pakistan. NZC chief executive David White said it was not possible to continue once they received the advisory from their government. “I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option,” White said.

The players' Association chief Heath Mills also echoed White's sentiment. “We’ve been across this process throughout and are fully supportive of the decision. The players are in good hands; they’re safe – and everyone’s acting in their best interests.”

According to PCB, the Prime Ministers of both countries had a chat and the New Zealand payers and staff were assured of their safety. 

"Earlier today, the New Zealand cricket board informed us that they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series. PCB and Govt of Pakistan made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand cricket board of the same," the PCB said in a release.

"The Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best Intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team. 

"The security officials with the NZ team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Govt of Pakistan throughout their stay here. PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and the world over will be disappointed by this last-minute withdrawal," it further added.

This was New Zealand's first tour of Pakistan since 2003.

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
New Zealand tour of Pakistan, 2021New ZealandPakistan

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
New Zealand players received death threats, reveals NZCPA chief
Couple of New Zealand players received death threats on social media ahead of the Pakistan tour which were initially not taken seriously
usercricket.com staff
19 Sep 2021
safari
NEWS
New Zealand players should not be blamed for cancellation of Pakistan tour: McClenaghan
New Zealand had arrived in Pakistan on September 11 for a white-ball series after 18 years and were scheduled to play three ODIs and five T20Is
userPTI
19 Sep 2021
safari
NEWS
NZC stands by its decision to abandon Pakistan tour as players arrive in Dubai
New Zealand and Pakistan were scheduled to play three ODIs and five T20Is from September 17
usercricket.com staff
19 Sep 2021
safari
NEWS
New Zealand squad flies out of Pakistan on chartered plane
The New Zealand players and officials had to undergo rapid COVID-19 tests at the airport and after all the reports came negative
userPTI
18 Sep 2021
safari
NEWS
New Zealand to fly out of Pakistan in a chartered flight on September 18
The Blackcaps decided to abandon their tour of Pakistan after an advisory from their government over a security threat
userPTI
17 Sep 2021
safari
NEWS
'New Zealand just killed Pakistan cricket,' cricketers react to Blackcaps pulling out
This was New Zealand's first tour of Pakistan since 2003
userPTI
17 Sep 2021
safari
NEWS
'New Zealand will hear us at ICC,' Ramiz Raja hits out at NZC after pullout
New Zealand abandoned its tour of Pakistan after a security threat issued by New Zealand government
usercricket.com staff
17 Sep 2021
safari
NEWS
New Zealand get security clearance to tour Pakistan
New Zealand are scheduled to tour Pakistan later this month after the ongoing Bangladesh T20I series
usercricket.com staff
02 Sep 2021
safari
NEWS
Stringent security arrangements in place for visiting Bangladesh cricketers
Mushfiqur Rahim and some members of the team's support staff have decided against touring Pakistan, owing to their families' concerns about the security
userPTI
22 Jan 2020
safari
NEWS
Sri Lanka optimistic about saving Pakistan tour
Sri Lanka has already announced two squads for the three ODIs and the three T20Is starting September 27
userAFP
18 Sep 2019
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved