There will be no cut in players' salaries for the 2020-21 season but the long-term effects of the COVID-19 pandemic could see them taking a hit in their earnings, said Cricket South Africa Acting CEO Jacques Faul.
The negative impact of the coronavirus pandemic is already seen in the sporting world with some of the football clubs being forced to cut players' salary.
However, Cricket South Africa has no such immediate plans for its contracted players.
"We have budgeted for the amount. It is a centralised system and both the national team and franchise players are budgeted for. At this stage we will have enough capacity to see us through the season," Faul was quoted as saying in the local media.
"But in the long term, even if we cover this season, we will have to look at what the situation is going to be after that and the financial impact it has. In our situation, I cannot see any player getting less money this season, but going forward I can see a situation where players might have to receive less."
Faul said that the Board has taken into account that no cricket will take place in the next three to six months.
How much will be available to pay players (next season)? We need to see the total effect of Covid-19. And of course, players right now miss out on appearance fees and win bonuses.
"If we have series postponed and they are played at a later date, then they can make it up. If not, that is lost income," Faul added.
The team's next international assignment is the tour of West Indies in July.
CSA lays down four-point pandemic strategy
Cricket South Africa (CSA) has laid down a four-point strategy to ensure the well-being of everyone attached with the organisation in the battle against the dreaded COVID-19 pandemic, which has left the world in disarray.
With South Africa in official lockdown until April 16, CSA Acting Chief Executive, Faul outlined the plan via a video conference that also featured Interim Director Graeme Smith.
"Health is the most important thing at this point in time. In our world, sport is the most important thing and it does feed a lot of people, but to be honest, the world has greater challenges at the moment," Faul said.
The CEO stressed that the organisation was doing its best to keep everyone within their structures safe and outlined the four-point strategy.
"We have a four-way strategy in terms of the Coronavirus and the first one is to make sure everybody is safe," Faul said.
"I think we saw that implemented even before the lockdown (when the season was effectively ended by a 60-day termination of cricket)."
Faul said the CSA would be putting out awareness video messages which will feature the country's top cricketers.
"The second one is to use the voices of our stars to send out a coordinated message and we've seen that so far with some of our campaigns."
He added that the organisation will be in constant contact with all its stakeholders and will be assessing the situation in the coming weeks.
"The third one is to stay in contact with all our stakeholders so we can work out how they have been affected by the current situation and how it has affected us.
"We've been in touch with them and both parties have been engaging each other and we still are and will be in the coming weeks," Faul said.
The final strategy, Faul said would be to evaluate the financial impact of the pandemic.
"And the fourth one relates to planning. To see how Covid-19 has impacted on us and how it will impact our finances. The world will never be the same again after this."