England and Sussex pacer Ollie Robinson is clear to play cricket after the Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) has deemed his eight-match suspension for racist and sexist tweets has been served.
Robinson's tweets, which he posted between 2012 and 2014, have come to light on June 2 during his Test debut against New Zealand after which the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) directed him to return home which meant he was not available for England or Sussex selection.
The CDC announced he has been handed an eight-match ban, five of which are suspended for two years, for “a number of offensive tweets” between 2012 and 2014. The panel has taken into account Robinson’s suspension from the England's second Test against New Zealand and two Vitality Blast matches, leaving Robinson free to play immediately. The 27-year old was also fined £3,200.
"Robinson had previously admitted breaching ECB Directives 3.3 and 3.4 in relation to a number of offensive tweets which were posted between 2012 and 2014, when he was aged between 18 and 20. The tweets came to light on 2 June 2021, which was also the first day of his first Test match for England," the ECB said in a statement on Saturday. "Following a hearing on 30 June, the Panel decided that Robinson should be suspended from playing cricket for eight matches, five of which will be suspended for two years."
"As regards the three matches which are the subject of immediate suspension, the Panel has taken into account the suspension imposed by the England Team from the second LV= Insurance Men's Test against New Zealand, together with two of the Vitality Blast T20 matches from which Robinson voluntarily withdrew himself from selection for Sussex CCC due to the impact of these proceedings."
Responding to the CDC's decision, Robinson reiterated that he is embarrassed of his past actions and apologized for his tweets.
"I fully accept the CDC's decision," Robinson said. "As I have said previously, I am incredibly embarrassed and ashamed about the tweets I posted many years ago and apologise unreservedly for their contents.
"I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused to anyone who read those tweets and in particular to those people to whom the messages caused offence. This has been the most difficult time in my professional career for both my family and myself.
"Whilst I want to move on, I do want to use my experience to help others in the future through working with the PCA."