It has come at a risk of missing out on a direct qualification for the 2023 50-over World Cup in India, but South Africa have decided to withdraw from the three-match One-Day International series in Australia in January 2022. The series was scheduled to be played from January 12 to 17. However, the three-match Test series will go as scheduled.
Cricket South Africa had earlier requested to shift the dates of the ODI encounters due to a clash with their new franchise T20 league, but it wasn’t possible because of the already packed calendar. As a result, South Africa have decided to concede the CWC Super League points to Australia.
The Proteas are currently languishing at No. 11 in the points table, with just four wins from 13 games. There are 13 teams who are part of the ongoing Super League and only eight of them will directly qualify for the showpiece event in India. The remaining five teams will have to play five Associate sides for the remaining two spots.
"It is disappointing that Cricket South Africa will be unable to contest the ODI series in January. That said, we are delighted to be hosting South Africa for the three-Test series which includes the Boxing Day and New Year's Tests and with the comprehensive schedule of international cricket that will take place across Australia throughout the summer," said Cricket Australia's CEO Nick Hockley.
"This will include the ICC Men's T20 World Cup and a record six touring teams for the Men's and Women's international series as well as the twelfth season of the BBL and the eighth season of the WBBL. We can't wait to see fans back at the cricket this summer."
As a result, Cricket Australia have also made some changes to the venues for their home games against West Indies, England and Pakistan.