The Hundred's future on the line as English cricket chiefs meet

back icon
safari
24 Apr 2020 | 07:57 AM
authorAFP

The Hundred's future on the line as English cricket chiefs meet

The inaugural edition of The Hundred, a new 100 balls per side format to played by eight franchises, is meant to start in July

heart

Share

The future of the controversial Hundred tournament was on the agenda at an England and Wales Cricket Board teleconference as officials grappled with the ongoing impact of the coronavirus on the season.

The inaugural edition of The Hundred, a new 100 balls per side format to played by eight franchises rather than English cricket's established 18 first-class counties, is meant to start in July.

ECB officials have long insisted it will attract a new audience vital to safeguarding cricket's future in its homeland.

But with the outbreak of the coronavirus having pushed back the start of the English season until May 28 at the earliest and further delays now likely, The Hundred may be put back until 2021.

Even if Britain's current lockdown restrictions are eased ahead of July, prohibitions against mass gatherings, including crowds at sporting events, could remain in place.

If spectators cannot attend, that would appear to defeat the purpose of The Hundred.

There are also concerns that health and travel restrictions may mean high-profile and crowd-pleasing overseas stars won't be able to take part if The Hundred goes ahead this year.

Even before the pandemic, the ECB had itself forecast the competition would make a loss in its first five seasons.

Costs in the first year, including the £1.3 million paid to each county, were estimated at £58 million ($72 million) against an income of £51m ($63m).

Not playing The Hundred could potentially save the ECB millions at a time when it has launched a £61m virus aid package for the domestic game.

'Unprecedented times' 

England are meant to play the West Indies at The Oval in the first of a three-Test series starting on June 4.

But this has long appeared an unrealistic start date and the ECB could announce a delay on Friday (24th April) as they try to salvage as much as they can of an international season that includes another three Tests against Pakistan, as well as limited overs internationals with both Australia and Ireland.

Meanwhile the financial problems facing the English game were underlined when Middlesex became the latest county to announce they had laid off their players, and other staff, so they can benefit from the British government's coronavirus job retention scheme.

In addition, all employees earning more than £27,500 have agreed a 17 percent pay cut for the next two months, with senior management taking a 20 percent reduction.

"We are operating in unprecedented times," said chief executive Richard Goatley.

"For all staff to agree voluntarily to a significant salary reduction for the next two months is testament to how invested they are in Middlesex cricket and committed to helping the club through this crisis."

heart
shareGray Share
Tags
England

Related Articles

safari
NEWS
English County season to start on 1st August
The format has still to be decided, although the ECB said this was "due to be agreed" by the 18 first-class counties in early July
userAFP
30 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
England confirm venues for West Indies series
The first Test will take place at Hampshire's Ageas Bowl ground from July 8-12, with the second and third Tests at Old Trafford in Manchester on July 16-20 and July 24-28 respectively
userAFP
02 Jun 2020
safari
NEWS
The Hundred postponed to 2021
The new 100-balls-per-side format, to be played by eight franchises rather than the established 18 first-class counties, had been due to start in July
userAFP
30 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Fate of Hundred in balance as English cricket chiefs meet
Many voices within English cricket have been opposed to the Hundred from the outset, arguing there is no space for a new format in an already congested calendar
userAFP
28 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Virus pushes English cricket season back until July
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said the plan was to reschedule international matches as late as possible in the English season to give the best chance of play
userAFP
24 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Middlesex opt to furlough players and staff amid COVID-19 pandemic
Under the furlough scheme, 80 per cent of wages up to a certain level are covered by the British government
userPTI
24 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
England cricket stars donate £500,000 to board, 'good causes'
"Following a meeting today of all of the England men's centrally contracted cricketers, the players have agreed to make an initial donation of £0.5million to the ECB and to selected good causes"
userAFP
04 Apr 2020
safari
NEWS
Anderson fears virus could wreck English season as Windies offer to stage series
"Cricket and sport is not the be all and end all but it is my livelihood, it's all I know," said Anderson
userPTI
28 Mar 2020
safari
NEWS
Coronavirus leaves English cricket facing uncertain season
Last week the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) announced that no professional cricket would be played before May 28 at the earliest
userAFP
25 Mar 2020
safari
NEWS
Anderson fears virus could wreck English season as Windies offer to stage series
England postponed their tour of Sri Lanka last week. They are next meant to play the West Indies in a three-Test home series, starting on June 4
userAFP
19 Mar 2020
logo
Cricket like never before
Follow us on
FacebookTwitterLinkedin
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved