back icon
safari
15 Sep 2020 | 03:42 PM
authorAFP
Woakes says England players may face pay cuts as cricket feels pinch
Woakes, with a new round of central contracts due this month, said players may have to take a pay cut

World Cup winner Chris Woakes admits players may be next to feel the pinch as England cricket chiefs on Tuesday (15th September) announced 62 job cuts due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chief executive Tom Harrison said such measures would have been "unthinkable" seven months ago but the global crisis had had a huge impact.

Harrison said English cricket had already lost more than £100 million ($129 million), a figure that could rise to £200 million next year if Covid-19 interrupts next season.

Proposals to reduce costs include a 20 percent cut to the workforce budget -- a move that equates to the loss of 62 positions.

England allrounder Woakes expressed sympathy with those affected.

"It does resonate with the players," said Woakes, who added that losses would have been even greater had scheduled tours by the West Indies, Pakistan, Australia and Ireland not taken place.

In April, England's centrally contracted players made a donation of £500,000 to the ECB and selected good causes, the equivalent of a 20 percent reduction in their retainers for three months.

Woakes, with a new round of central contracts due this month, said players may have to take a pay cut.

"In the current climate, and with contracts round the corner, I think you just have to expect anything at the minute," he said. 

"As players you're not going to sit here and say 'we're exempt from it'."

Losses 

Although the programme of 18 men's international matches scheduled for this season is set to be completed on Wednesday, the ECB has incurred heavy losses, with all games played behind closed doors.

The ECB introduced pay cuts for staff in April but the reductions have not been enough to stave off job losses.

"The Covid-19 pandemic has left cricket facing its most significant challenge of the modern era," said Harrison. 

"There is also deep uncertainty about the future, and it is vital we take more steps now to ensure the future financial sustainability of cricket in England and Wales."

Harrison added that the ECB would need to become a "leaner and more agile organisation", saying savings would only be possible "by reducing our headcount".

"These proposals include a 20 percent reduction in our workforce budget, which will equate to the removal of 62 roles from our structure."

ECB chiefs had hoped to capitalise on the boost to the game provided by England's World Cup win on home soil last year as well as a dramatic Ashes series.

"Seven months ago, sharing a message of this nature was unthinkable," said Harrison.

"Our ambition and energy are unchanged but how we get there now needs to look significantly different to what we originally planned for."

Share
Tags
EnglandChristopher Roger Woakes
Related Articles
NEWS
COVID-19 forces ECB to reduce its workforce by 20 percent
The amount could rise to 200 million pounds if the pandemic disrupts the 2021 summer as well
PTI
15 Sep 2020
NEWS
English County season to start on 1st August
The format has still to be decided, although the ECB said this was "due to be agreed" by the 18 first-class counties in early July
AFP
30 Jun 2020
NEWS
England confirm venues for West Indies series
The first Test will take place at Hampshire's Ageas Bowl ground from July 8-12, with the second and third Tests at Old Trafford in Manchester on July 16-20 and July 24-28 respectively
AFP
02 Jun 2020
NEWS
Chris Woakes glad of training 'normality'
England have selected 18 bowlers to take part in individual training sessions across seven grounds, with just a physiotherapist in attendance
AFP
22 May 2020
NEWS
The Hundred postponed to 2021
The new 100-balls-per-side format, to be played by eight franchises rather than the established 18 first-class counties, had been due to start in July
AFP
30 Apr 2020
NEWS
Virus pushes English cricket season back until July
ECB chief executive Tom Harrison said the plan was to reschedule international matches as late as possible in the English season to give the best chance of play
AFP
24 Apr 2020
NEWS
England cricket stars donate £500,000 to board, 'good causes'
"Following a meeting today of all of the England men's centrally contracted cricketers, the players have agreed to make an initial donation of £0.5million to the ECB and to selected good causes"
AFP
04 Apr 2020
NEWS
England pay cuts still an option - Woakes
England and Wales Cricket Board chief executive Tom Harrison announce he was taking a 25 percent pay cut, with other officials at Lord's reducing their salaries as well
AFP
03 Apr 2020
NEWS
ECB could lose over 300 million pounds if no cricket takes place
With its reserves going down to 11 million pounds in 2018-19 from 73 million pounds in 2015-16, a cricket-less season could make a severe impact on ECB's balance sheet
PTI
02 Apr 2020
NEWS
ECB launches £61m aid package for English cricket in response to virus
Meanwhile Harrison said there were no plans to cut the pay of centrally contracted England players
AFP
01 Apr 2020
Cricket like never before
Term of use
Privacy Policy
Cookies Policy
Follow us on
@ 2020 cricket.com | All rights reserved