Zimbabwe's limited-overs tour of Ireland, which was set to begin on August 6, has been postponed and could take place in August-September as Zimbabwe Cricket (ZC) awaits government clearance to travel to Ireland.
"We recognize that with Zimbabwe being on the UK Red List, but a Category 2 country in the Republic of Ireland classification, approval for the series was always conditional upon the evolving advice of government," Cricket Ireland chief Warren Deutrom had said in a release last month.
The tour comprises three ODIs and five T20Is, scheduled to begin with the first ODI in Belfast which is confirmed as the venue for the remaining ODIs and last three T20Is. The first two T20Is are scheduled to be played at Bready.
"It is now anticipated that the series will be held in August-September 2021, but that some venue changes may be required to accommodate the latest advice received."
ZC has now set August 19 as the new departure date, subject to government clearance.
"We have applied to the Sports and Recreation Commission for permission to travel but we have set August 19 as the departure date," ZC managing director Givemore Makoni told NewsDay. "Everything will be announced once we get clearance from the SRC."
Zimbabwe will have a chance move from the bottom of the men's ODI World Cup Super league points table and push for qualification. In their most recent ODI series against Bangladesh, Zimbabwe lost the series by 3-0 Bangladesh at home. Ireland, who have 35 points from 12 matches, are seventh on the Super League table.