As the count down for 2022 T20 World Cup begins, the event hosts Australia have arrived in India for a three-match T20I series which provides a good sense of each other's strengths. Australia are close to full strength even without the likes of Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Marsh and Marcus Stoinis who are all nursing injuries. India, meanwhile, will see the return of key pacer duo Jasprit Bumrah and Harshal Patel. The series opener will be played the PCA Stadium in Mohali, which had previously hosted the 2016 T20 World Cup Super 10s match between the sides where Virat Kohli's stunning 82 not out off 51 balls took India through to the semifinals.
Mohali has not hosted T20 matches in the last three years. The T20I between India and South Africa in September, 2019 was the last to be played at the venue. Chasing is an easy option as seven of the last nine matches played in 2019 saw teams batting second win. The average first innings score is 161 which is not too harsh on the bowlers. Pacers had a better purchase in the previous matches as they have claimed 63% of the wickets an economy of 8.6. Spinners have claimed 28 wickets in this period at a marginally better economy of 8.1. It is better to pick a team that can bat deep and bowlers who can bowl meagre spells.
While you could go for the above team, you also have the option of choosing your team from Cricket.com’s Fantasy Research Centre. You can use this tool to build your team with the help of algorithms. Then, based on your preferences, the platform will guide you through creating the ideal fantasy XI.
For small leagues: Pat Cummins (captain), Bhuvneshwar Kumar (vice-captain)
For grand leagues: Virat Kohli (captain), Jasprit Bumrah (vice-captain)
Stats that matter
* Glenn Maxwell has a sensational record in India. The allrounder averages 46 from eight T20I innings at a strike rate of 152.6 and has claimed two wickets.
* KL Rahul hasn't played a T20I at the PCA stadium but has an incredible record at the venue in IPL scoring 448 runs in 11 matches at a strike rate of 144.5.
* On both sides, Axar Patel has played the most T20s (23) at Mohali claiming 24 wickets at a superb economy of 7.4.
Grand League Punts
* Bhuvneshwar Kumar loves playing at Mohali as the seamer has picked up 10 wickets from seven matches at a sensational economy of 6.6.
* Adam Zampa has enjoyed playing in India as he has claimed eight wickets from as many innings at an average of 17.4.
* Virat Kohli has favored Australia in T20Is. The star batter has 230 runs in his last five innings against the world champions at a strike rate of 154.4.
Here are the Top 10 Criclytics Projections
India: Rohit Sharma (c), KL Rahul, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Rishabh Pant (WK), Hardik Pandya, Axar Patel, Yuzvendra Chahal, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Harshal Patel, Jasprit Bumrah.
Australia: Josh Inglis, Aaron Finch (c), Steve Smith, Glenn Maxwell, Matthew Wade (wk), Tim David, Cameron Green, Pat Cummins, Ashton Agar, Josh Hazlewood, Adam Zampa.